Friday, June 17, 2011

Evaluation day!

Today we had an evaluation of our driving progress. Based on on the street driving and backing up.

Overall, I feel there is some improvement that I need to do. I am still getting used to proper gear shifting and proper down shifting. I am alos abusing the transmission, as my instructor says, because I rev the engine up too high in RPM's before shifting. Also, I was told that I am drifting out of my lane a bit. I didn't see it, but my instructor did. So, I have to keep an eye out for that. I had a few improvements to work on, but from what I was told by the instructor, for a person who has never drivin a large truck before, I am actually above average in my skill set, a diamond in the rough as it were. All I really need to improve is practice and more experience/hours behind the wheel.
We also got into trip planning. Let me just say that having brought a calculator was a great idea. There is a lot of quick math that needs to be done and using a calculator is beneficial. The trip planning wasn't AS bad as I thought it was going to be. There is a lot of fine tune looking up of information and making sure that time management is properly done. Again, the examples are a bit in depth but once broken down, I found that the variables of the problems are somewhat static and makes the figuring out of the information a lot easier. So the homework we had today was done rather quickly. I had a few questions about things I found in the map, but I will get them answered tomorrow.

Going into the final stretch. Going to be learning the couple and uncouple procedure tomorrow and then how to slide tandems on sunday. Come monday, we will be final tested before we get to know if we stay or go. My "Every day is a new challenge" mentality has been serving me well. Still haven't gotten my butt to bed before 10pm, so once again I will TRY to do this. Getting enough sleep is key here. There is a TON of information that one has to absorb in a short amount of time and be able to bring it to bear when needed. I do feel I am up to the challenge, I just hope my efforts are enough to warrant the company to actually keep me on as a hired persona. Time will tell, this past week has been described as a 7 day job interview more than a simple training week. No where does it say that I am going to get the job just because I showed up. I know I got this, but I like to maintain a humble outlook. It keeps me grounded and from being too cocky. Which I know is one of my biggest downfalls. So here's to the rest of the week! Vroom Vroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment