Thursday, May 5, 2011

Update 1

Here is an update on employment.

Just got off the phone with my guys over at unemployment (finally) and was able to secure the last piece of information that I needed to start the pre-employment process over at the new company.

I touched base with the recruiter, she was waiting on the background reports to come in and my call to say that I had the form one way or the other. I should be getting a call sometime later today to go over a pre-employment offer and setup an orientation date.

More news later as I get it.

*Edit*

Just called up company #1 and cancelled the orientation. Doing a spot check of how I felt about that didn't really give me anything. So, we will see. I guess I really didn't have that much personally invested into the idea of going there. I do know I had a feeling of being REALLY far away, I guess that is a good enough answer. I may not have kids yet, but I do have a family and company #1 wasn't really working with me at all about being able to come back and see them in any way, shape or form.

*edit 2*

Went out to the post office and mailed back the bus tickets I picked up the other day. So it is not official, I am not only out of their orientation, but I don't have the means to get there. :) I offered to destroy the tickets, but they were quick to ask me to mail them back. $200. bus tickets, I guess they wanted to get a refund. :)

4 comments:

  1. So how long is your orientation going to be with company #2, and where are they based out of?

    Hoping everything works out for you. My dad was a trucker for many years before he got his degree and became a computer programmer. Back in his day, working for Stop & Shop, the drivers were also responsible for loading/unloading the trucks. Nowadays the stores handle that and the driver just has to deal with the driving, which is a lot better from a physical perspective. I hope the same is true of whomever you drive for as well.

    Less people want to do the long hauls than they used to, but it's still an important job that needs to get done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Training at company 2 is 26 days. The first 13 days I get paid 60 dollars a day (which is already 10 bucks more than the first company) and the second 13 days I get 65 dollars a day.

    There are still places and situations where you unload yourself, so I have heard. I am going for the OTR route so we will see whats going on once I get out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any further updates, hun?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, I am now just waiting for Monday.

    ReplyDelete