Monday, May 2, 2011

Progress

Part of becoming a truck driver for me required me to get my Class A/CDL license. I was able to do this with the help of the Florida Unemployment System.

A little back story.

I went on unemployment in the beginning of November 2010 after ending a contract position with a technical temp agency. Towards the end of December, I was required to attend a workshop at the One Stop Employment location. They work with people to find jobs and try to get them off unemployment by offering assistance and training opportunities. During my first visit, I was asked if I had any interests in other employment fields, in which I mentioned my interest in trucking. I was then given the starting point in which I needed to move forward and get a school grant to cover the cost of school.

Fast forward 4 months later, I was approved for the grant and started school on April 11, 2011. I graduated on April 29, 2011 in which I was given my certificate of completion and have lined up a job with a trucking company trucking out of Texas.

Today, I kinda screwed up. I was supposed to go down to the One Stop at 2pm today and turn in my timesheets, but I forgot that I was supposed to bring my packet from the school with the certificate and transcripts. Soooo, I have to head back for 4pm to finish that. After which I will get a check for the cost of my Hazmat endorsement.

So, I figure it will be to late to hit the DMV today for my new license if I do get that check today. I have all week to get it done. After rushing around to school for 3 weeks, a little bit of "laid back" is in order I think.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment