Saturday, May 21, 2011

Finally done..

As of Friday, I have completed all the medical requirement (I hope) that the Safety department is requiring before they will offer me an orientation date.

The last few bits of medical information was gathered and sent. The one that was the easiest turned out to be the luckiest for me. I use a CPAP machine at night due to Severe Obstructed Sleep Apnea. The Safety Dept. requires 3 months of documented compliance pulled in the form of a report from the machine itself. Long story short, I had to call the mfg. of the machine to see how I could get this report extracted. They referred me to a local company that was about an hour away. I called them and they said they could do it, so I went and brought my machine with me.


Once there, the guy looked at it and said that this was the version that required a card. Ok, so I was just nodding with no idea one way or the other. Then he comes back with a card and tells me that the machine I use actually stores the data that I am looking for, whereas most CPAP machines would require me to put the card in and keep it there for 3 months to gather the data I was looking for. Bullet dodged!

Report in hand I rush home, scan and email the report and call my recruiter. She tells me that this should be everything that is needed. So I asked her, "Am I the most troublesome driver you have had?" she tells me I actually was one of the easiest. Apparently, a lot of driver find out that they made have a Sleep Apnea problem by going thru the physical. What they do at the physical is measure your neck size. If it's over a certain amount, they place you on a  3 month medical card and you have to get a sleep study done. PLUS they then have to go thru the 3 month compliance with documented reports from your CPAP that they get. So as a driver, they are now delayed 3 to 4 months while they collect that data. I had already been diagnosed and all I had to do was figure out what data to send from what I already had.

So, now I should hear something on Monday about my orientation date. I have already put together all my paperwork that I need to bring with me, now its just a matter of clothes, bedding and toiletry supplies. Soon my adventures will begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment