Saturday, July 28, 2012

New adventures at every turn

Picked up a load that went all the way to, get this, Metropolis Illinois. Now, when I first heard the town name, my thoughts wen directly to Superman. When I finally got to the town, I was greeted this way.

So I found out that the town of Metropolis, Illinois is the hometown of Superman. What you are seeing here is the large statue of Superman standing in the middle of the business district.

The nice part about it was that I literally had the entire town for myself. Small town in the early morning, there were only a couple of people wandering around and no cars at all. So I was able to wander up and down the streets and take pictures at good angles without having to worry about getting hit by a car or anything.

Days like this prove that for every bad day that I go through, there are really good surprises waiting for me down the line. I mean who knew I would wake up and find a huge statue of Superman and an entire town dedicated to the history and mythos of Superman.


Now the rest of my weekend will be spent sitting around in Matthews, Missouri at a Flying J. Which has not been boring at all. I am currently sitting in the drivers lounge with about 25 truckers. We have been watching A&E all day starting with Shipping Wars, which is about 5 or 6 competing owner/operators bidding on and then delivering loads and the (mis)adventures that are associated with it. Now we are watching Storage Wars, which is the group of people that are running around Storage Unit auctions trying to make a buck. The level of snark and commentary from the crowd is amazing and hilarious.

SO.. I will leave this post with a picture of the statue of  Noel Neill, who was the actress who played lois Lane.


1 comment: